Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Landry's Angel Day~One Year

Landry's Angel day...first of all we made up some baskets to donate to the Logan NICU. The idea came to me as I looked at the some of the gifts that were given to Landry. I didn't know what to do with them. I wanted to do something good though, in behalf of Landry. We took most the outfits, (the ones that hadn't been used yet), and diapers that I had bought and made up gift baskets. The baskets were some from the flowers at his funeral. Thank you for your generous gifts to us and Landry. I hope it was okay to pass them along.Bentley and Abby were out of school for spring break so we headed to Logan to deliver the baskets. Abby kept telling me that I couldn't cry like I did before when we took back formula and his car bed. I was thinking 'yeah right'! We got to Logan, it was raining on the way but not too bad, just as we got there it started hailing like no other. It was crazy. It was so loud in the van. When we got to the hospital Abby and I took the baskets to the NICU. I told the lady at the front we wanted to donate these baskets to the NICU. She looked at the size of diapers and said in a real nice voice, "you know we use smaller diapers here in the NICU." Yes, I had thought of that but who doesn't like diapers that your baby can grow in too, right? I couldn't muster up the strength or courage to tell her why we had chosen the NICU and who these gifts came from. I figured I had done what I wanted and she could do whatever she wanted with the baskets.On the way home from Logan we thought we had taken a wrong turn and gone back to January!! The roads and weather were pretty bad, but we made it.We stopped at the cemetery to leave an angel and a bunny (Easter was coming up). We had also ordered some tulips. We left those and decided that if we took his solar snowflake maybe we would be lucky enough to enjoy some spring. It worked for a few days! And this.... as if Landry had sent us a gift. Our first flowers bloomed that day. I took a picture because I figured they wouldn't last long with the weather.


We ended the day with another beautiful sunset and view.

2 comments:

  1. I haven't read your blog for a while so I had to catch up! What a wonderful person you are Gayle, and what a wonderful little family you guys have. I think it's awesome that you sent baskets to the NICU. (Tell that nurse to stuff it by the way.) What a great way to remember your little man. Good for you for getting through the one year anniversary. The first few years after we lost our little man I remembered the day and tried to do something special with Brian. Now, 12 years later I can honestly say that the day comes and goes sometimes without me thinking about it. That sounds cold, but things come up and kids do other things that keep your mind off "that" day. I really hope that one day you will think/remember Landry without being really sad. You will always miss him and wonder what he would've become, but hopefully the pain will lesson. Take care and I hope I didn't say anything to offend you. Sending my love.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Perfect....simply a perfect way to honor Landry! What an impact you have on the lives of those around you and an example of true Christ like love you show for your children and others.

    ReplyDelete