Monday, January 4, 2016

Happy 8th Birthday....in Heaven


Owen would have turned 8 on Sunday. His first birthday in heaven, oh how we miss him!
We believe that when you turn 8 you reach the age of accountability and you can choose to be baptized into our church. I knew that even if Owen was still here he wouldn't be able to be baptized but the thought of baptism wouldn't leave my mind. 'Great to be eight' kept running through my mind. One on night the thought came to me that for Owen's birthday we could go to the temple and do baptisms for the dead(baptisms by proxy for those who have passed on). I got excited and told Lenn and the kids. The next thought was that we should invite family and friends to do the same!

Friends and family went to the temple to celebrate Owen's 8th birthday! I was so excited. Some went for the first time, others went and took pictures, some are planning on going later. It makes my heart happy that this was done. I want to thank all of you who have gone or plan to go or just thought of him on his birthday. He is missed, but still very loved!

We went to the temple on Saturday and as I was getting our names I glanced at the guy next to me, his name card read Owen Robert.....I knew we where supposed to be there and that our Owen Robert was there with us! We had a great time together as a family in the temple, it was our first time as a family.
I'm so grateful for the spirit that gave me the prompting to go and 'give this gift to Owen'. It made his birthday so much easier to get through. I know he is busy up there but also that he takes time to check in on us when he can. I'm also grateful for his special birthday buddy, angel Mercydez. Her family has been a blessing to us for the last 8 years. They will always have a special place in our hearts.
Happy 8th birthday little buddy!!
Owens birthday cake. He loved frosting, chocolate and grasshopper (mint covered in chocolate) creamies. His cake was chocolate with a layer of mint chocolate chip ice cream. 
His therapist would bring creamies and Owen loved the mint kind. Thanks to Dallas for the inspiration.

Temple pictures that were shared with us.

No comments:

Post a Comment